The 26 inch bicycle height has been around for many years but it is still the most popular bicycle frame size and continues to grow in popularity among cyclists who want more comfort and better performance than other smaller frame sizes.
Summer is approaching, and you want to enjoy the fresh air and nature; maybe you do not have a bike or are looking to change one. If you want a bike model equipped with 26-inch diameter wheels, read on, you will learn everything you need to know about this bike model. Moreover, in particular, for which size of a person, this model is suitable.
What is a 26 inch Bicycle Height?
To measure the size of a bicycle, we measure the diameter of its wheels. This diameter is expressed in inches; 1 inch equals 2.54 cm. So, when we talk about a 26-inch bike, it means that the diameter of its wheels is equal to 66 cm.
Until recently, 26-inch bikes were the standard for bikes sold in big boxes or specialty stores. However, this is currently less the case for technical and commercial reasons, and the new standard tends towards 27.5-inch bikes. Nevertheless, 26-inch bikes are still a benchmark and remain the best-handling bikes!
Who can use the 26-inch bikes?
There are several parameters to consider to determine which are the most suitable users to ride on bikes with wheel diameters equal to 26 inches. The person’s height is a significant factor, but it is not the only one, as we will see now.
The size of the individual
A general rule correlates a person’s height with the diameter of the wheels of the bicycle: the taller the person, the larger the wheels they will need. However, 26-inch bikes have an extensive range of sizes: indeed, it is estimated that anyone between 1.50 m and 1.85 m tall can equip themselves with a 26-inch bike.
The lower limit of 1.50 m means that this model is suitable for adolescence. If you want to buy a 26-inch bike for your child, be very careful to check that the size of the bike is adapted to his morphology. To do this, you must check the following points:
- Check that the child can touch the ground with his foot once in the saddle.
- Check that the child can grasp the brake handles easily without being fully extended.
- Check the size of the frame and that it is not too big concerning the child’s morphology.
- . These safety tips must be respected absolutely because accidents, unfortunately, happen more frequently than you think!
For adults, the size range between 1.50 m and 1.85 m shows that most women can afford a 26-inch model. Only the biggest will need the most significant model, namely a bike with 29-inch wheels. As for men, again, 75% to 80% of them will be able to equip themselves with this type of bike without any problem.
This model’s great versatility explains why this size of the bike was prevalent on the cycle market for a long time!
Adults should also be careful before buying a bike and check that the model they have chosen is well suited to their size. For this, the same control criteria must be used as those mentioned for children (touching the ground with the foot, satisfactorily grasping the brake handles, checking the size of the frame ).
Advantages of 26-inch wheel bikes
As we have seen, size is the most crucial element in choosing your bike size. However, for intermediate people sizes (between 1.70 m and 1.80 m), 26-inch or 27.5-inch bikes can be chosen by the buyer.
Besides the question of the size of the adult, here are the two strong points of the models of bicycles with wheels of a diameter of 26 shoots:
- Maneuverability is their most significant advantage. Thanks to the handlebars, you can easily steer the bike where you want it, which is very practical if turning in a somewhat tight bend (e.g., a hairpin) or mountain biking in the mountains. The maneuverability criterion is significant for beginners who do not yet know how to ride a bike well.
- Also, the 26-inch models are bikes with less inertia than the 27.5-inch or 29-inch models. Indeed, the size of the smaller wheels implies a lower speed at the same pedaling frequency. It is beneficial, especially on downhill slopes, for riders who have not yet mastered the control of their bike.
Use of 26-inch wheel bikes
26-inch bikes are incredibly versatile and can be used in all situations: on the road, on the ground, uphill, or downhill. They are particularly suitable for hiking with family or friends to have a good time. A moment in peace and green!
Bikes equipped with 26-inch diameter wheels no longer hold any secrets for you! This model, whose versatility is one of its greatest assets, will suit most adults and even a good number of teenagers! Handy, the 26-inch bike will be your ideal companion for hikes in leisure mode. One last piece of advice: before buying a bike model, do not hesitate to try it out and ask the dealer for advice. Buying a bicycle is a long-term investment, and safety and comfort of use should be your number one priority. We wish you a pleasant walk!